Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Le Centre Pompidou

I have to admit, this project baffles me just as much as it impresses. Once settled into my apartment and rested from the travel, I headed straight for the Centre Pompidou. Not only did I feel obliged - given that I'll be working for Renzo over the next six months - I also just needed to see it with my own eyes. Was it like the photos? How did this abnormality fit with downtown Paris?


This was my first glimpse of it. From the rear. First thought: I can't believe I'm here! Second thought: Well, looks like hvac... smells like piss, and it's providing a fine shelter for some of Paris' homeless population. Third thought: This is kind of amazing; incredible precision, incredible statement, and people really do sit on the hard paved plaza just because it's sloped.

From the exterior, the plaza is what really ties the project back to the the city. It is surrounded on three sides by general Parisian life. There's an overflowing of souvenir stands, but not all of the stores are there for tourists; and of course, inside the Pompidou is program and space for the city as well.

I'm looking forward to using the space; it sounds like there's some pretty great things happening inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment