Thursday, May 21, 2009

cd_tower

There are always things that could be better. One of the nuisances in my life is the dresser drawer at home full of cd's and cd cases that have nowhere better to go. The dresser is old and the drawer, more often than not, falls out when i pull it out to try to find the one cd my ears are hungry to hear.

There are always new things to learn. I had never used the CNC router before this year.

The question. How can I use the router to produce something that could hold my cd's in an aesthetically pleasing and well organized way?




















The product. A CD tower perfect for me: someone who recognizes cd's/books/etcetera by color rather than by name. (My bookshelf at home is organized by color). Slits where the "spine" of the cds sit reveal their stripes of color as the tower is filled. Openings which extend through the entire width of the tower allow the cd's to be easily accessed while leaving them flush with the sides of the tower when not in use, producing a very clean feel.















The process. Layering up 1/4" plywood cut into shape by the router. Old cd cases were used to keep the layers in line, and a sanding paddle was created to sand the slots for the cds smooth. In the end, white formica was applied to the faces as a final finish.





























No comments:

Post a Comment